Re: Sulfate Res Conc. & Wate

> Unless the reviewer wants to take responsibility for the project, I would say
> that a *reviewer's* opinion should not replace that of the designer unless
> there was *something wrong* with what the designer did.  If there is nothing
> *wrong* with using Type V cement where indicated, then there should be no
> objection to it.  If there is something *wrong* about using Type I/II cement
> in another location, then there should be something done about it.
>
> A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
> Tucson, Arizona

The point you made is ideally very appropriate because using Type V
cement cannot be detrimental to the durability of the concrete but in
this case it may be useless, and part of my responsibility here is to
save the owner any unecessary expenses.

You see we might take the project as contractors on a Cost Plus basis,
so I feel that my ethical and professional responsibility is to trim the
specs requirements where it can save the owner money without lowering
the quality of the structure, and ask for more stringent specs where I
feel there are any shortcomings in the original specs.

Moni Serhal