RE: LURKERS UNITE, SLAY APATHY, AND CONQUER LISTSERVICE

Greg, I have asked the Virtual Standards Committee (a self-proclaimed
committee of about twelve listservice members - not yet recognized by any
professional organization) to do just what you ask - establish a coding
standard for messages.
This was not well received in the past - you may notice some of us start our
messages with words that represents the subject (i.e., Wood, Steel etc.).
I'll quote from my request of the committee:
".......the listservice members have been resistant to coding of
subject lines. Those who see the benefit to it have adopted our rudimentary
system such as 'WOOD' for wood topics or in our case VSC for Virtual
Standards Committee. How do we maintain a system of coding that is simple
yet expandable. Remember that what we develop at the chapter level may
someday be needed at the International level. How do we maintain
compatibility without having to overhaul the system later."

If you would like to help, please join our Virtual Standards Committee and
help us work through these issues. We are trying to develop standards so
that information can flow through the system between physical and virtual
committee members without overloading. We want this system to expand for use
above chapter levels - to state, regional, national and international
standards. One standard should be sought that meets all needs.

Next problem - how do you enforce a standard?

Dennis Wish PE

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy
for the worst of them all- the apathy of human beings."
Helen Keller