STL - ASTM Mill Specifications

Long ago and right here in America.

While I was still learning the Profession the
Steel Industry Decided to Change the System
of Desigation for Steel Shapes.

Thus a 12 WF 40 became a WF 12x40 and while
they were at it they changed some of the
dimensions of the Steel Shapes.

You can still find some of the old steel books
on the back shelves of verious engineering and
architural firms. They are great for finding
the properties of Steel Shapes in older buildings.

At that time it was a paper change (records and
calculations) with computers it will be very
simple to change. ( Play that one again I think
I missed something or maybe Mr. Murphy was going
past. )

Robert W. Stevens, Jr., P.E.
Consulting Engineer