Re: Problem with Deputy Inspector

In a message dated 98-03-21 11:38:34 EST, dnormanse(--nospam--at)email.msn.com writes:

<< Given the
 situation described below, should I: >>

e: provide structural observation after recieving the deputy inspection
reports and do the best you can.

       I am often frustrated as hell by the situation you describe. I specify
the inspection firm on my plans per section 106 and then the contractor brings
in his own inspector who is typically not aware the code requires the
inspector to send reports to the engineer. There needs to be some way
engineers can issue complaints to the agency issuing the inspectors
certification : ICBO?.
        I have what seems like the exact same job problem in Fresno right now.
At the preconstruction meeting i told the deputy inspector he needed to send
me reports and gave him my card  but none came. When i later cornered him on
the job during my structural observation he said he had submitted them to the
contractor and i should take the issue up with them. What can i do and not
seem like a whiner to the owner, architect, and contractor? They are already
concerned about the structural observation costs of my visits ( 9 hour round
trip ) every week for two months even though it is an A2.1 occupancy and
structural observation is required by code.
      Another example was last fall when i showed up at a tilt up job in Santa
Clarita when the welding was occuring. I asked where the deputy was. The super
said he must be here since his van was here. Sure enough he was there..... in
his van with the engine and air conditioner running completely out of site of
the welding.This was Montanya inspection services who i believe is out of
Orange Co. I also had not been recieving the reports.I told the architect, who
agreed and had the firm fired and brought in the firm i had originally
specified on the approved plan per ubc sec 106.
      How and to who can we send complaints about inspectors? If an engineer
was negligent , CA consumer affairs would investigate. Who investigates
inspectors?
     In three weeks Sandy Pringle will be speaking about deputy inspection at
the tri counties SEAOSC dinner meeting in Santa Barbara. I look forward to
more discussion on this subject. All are welcome to attend.

     Tom Harris, SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA