Re: Problem with Deputy Inspector

An architects perspective:

>a.  Do nothing in writing, sign the B94 card and forget about it.

No, I would be depending on you to take responsibility for structural matters
and this wouldn't qualify as taking responsibility.

>b.  Advise the general contractor, owner, architect and inspector of the
>problems in writing, then sign the card and forget about it.

No, because this would just be passing the buck to people who are not as
qualified as you are to make an assessment of the situation

>c.  Insist on revised reports and refuse to sign the card until I get them
>(possibly delaying the C of O and costing the owner money).

Yes. It's not pretty but it is what has to be done

>d.  Report the problems to the City (probably delaying the C of O, costing
>the owner money and making everyone mad).

Yes, but only if  all reasonable efforts towards c. were exhausted

>Although we were brought into the job by the owner, we are at his direction
>retained by the contractor (e.g., this is a design-build arrangement).  The
>work involves epoxy anchors, structural concrete, field welding, and spray
>on fire-proofing, all of which require continuous special inspection.

who actually hired you is irrelevant to your duty to act in the public
interest and comply with all regulations- if you have to sign something you
have to be able to stand behind it. If there is a failure and it comes out
that you *knew* there was a problem with the special inspections, even if
they were done by others, you will be held responsible. In court, no one
cares about the petty squabbling between professionals, all they will see
is who knew about the problem, and what did he do about it.

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada

P.S. With his call to arms of all lurkers, you can blame Dennis Wish for my
opinions on everything ;^)