Re: Granite Cladding (without mechanical fasteners)

At 10:05 PM 3/21/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>Tom:

>I spoke to one of the colleagues here. He said similar applications have
>been done.
>However the issue is the appropriate installation method and adhesive agent.
>The problem with temperature expansion also effects in long run.
>I need the information about the "proven" installation procedure.

Do you have any evidence that this material was ever intended to go on the
wall of a building, and a 4 storey one at that? Sounds like it could be a
floor tile. Thinner 3/8" granite tile maybe can be applied to a wall with
adhesive, but 3/4" granite calls for mechanical fasteners. What the
contractor wants to use is adhesive, but what he needs is someone to tell
him the correct way to do it :^) Check out items 1.7 and 1.9 of the Letters
of Assurance in the BC Building Code, whoever is signing those is
responsible for designing this wall assembly... I can find no reference
that recommends this thickness of granite applied to a wall with adhesive,
even though I know it HAS been done before here, but then again we here in
Vancouver DO have an epidemic of cladding failures...

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada