Fw: Granite Cladding (without using mechanical fasteners)

----------
> From: K. Hemmatyar <kch(--nospam--at)ultranet.ca>
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject: Granite Cladding  (without using mechanical fasteners)
> Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 3:05 PM
>
> I am presently working on a project which involves the design of
> installation method of Granite Cladding on a new 4 storey concrete frame
> building. The Granites are 18"x18"x3/4" and the contractor prefers to
> install them by adhesive agent (without using mechanical fasteners)
directly
> on the exposed concrete.
> If you have some recommendations, please advise.
> Thanks in Advance
>
> K. (Casey) Hemmatyar, P. Eng.
> Vancouver, B.C.

I for one would be pretty uncomfortable using this type of a system, mainly
because the adhesive would be attaching the panels to the cover of the
elements, if I were in a high (or moderately high) seismic zone.

If your structure has these frames as the primary lateral load resisting
system, then during a major earthquake you could expect the cover of the
elements (esp the beams) to become quite damaged.  If the cover is the only
thing holding the cladding to the structure, I would think the they might
go once the cover was damaged.  This would not necessarily apply to the
columns (since they really shouldn't experience all that much in the way of
inelastic action, except perhaps at the groud level).

It seems to me that the best method would be mechanical fasteners anchored
into the cores of the beams/columns.  That way, even if the elements lose
their cover, you would still have a viable connection.

T. Eric Gillham PE