Re: Sulfate Res Conc. & Waterproofing

Robert Kazanjy wrote:

>  Moni wrote>>>
>
>      >I am reviewing the specs for the construction of a RC
>      office building.
>      >
>       The soil investigation shows no
>      >presence of water for at least 25ft below foundation level
>      and the soil
>      >type is moderately fractured Limestone.
>
>      >The specs also call for the waterpoofing membrane to
>      continue below the
>      >whole area of the 190" mat foundation (tanking.) IMHO there
>      is no need
>      >to do that, and waterproofing the basement walls would be
>      enough.
>
> How much will omitting the membrane save?   How much will it cost to
> install?
Putting the membrane below the mat foundation which has an area of
4,300ft² would probably cost about 7,000$ for a total cost estimate for
the project of 1.7Million.

> How much will the lack of a waterpoofing membrane cost over
> time?   My suggestion (subject to not knowing the subgrade area usage)
> is use the waterpoofing membrane you'll get a much better result.
> I've seen several buildings with inadequate waterpoofing membrane, the
> end user suffers the results of false economy every day.
Well remember the mat foundation has a thickness of 190" so it would
really take a huge time for water migrate through that thickness
especially that there is no permanent presence of moisture as the soil
report shows.

> regards
>  Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
>  Senior Development Engineer
>  Civil & Environmental Engineering
>  UC Irvine
>  E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175