Re: Granite cladding(without using mechanical fasteners)

>Raghu Pendyala wrote:
>
>>  Alex Nacionales <anacio(--nospam--at)skyinet.net> wrote:
>> >Since  your building is a four storey concrete structure using  a
>> good
>> >adhesive would be a good way of installing Granite cladding. I think
>> >mechanical fasteners would not be practical in these case.
>>
>> Any reason or is it just  your experience? What about in case of fire
>> - many adhesives are suseptible in fire. What are good adhesives?
>>
>> Raghu Pendyala
>> Pendyala Consulting
>> Melbourne, Vic., Australia
>
>The reason is that unless you have a good mechanical fastener design
>that  will show only the granite tiles outside,  using  structural
>concrete epoxy would  be alright. As for fire,  the tiles would be
>protected by the exterior concrete walls from the fire inside except
>near windows if there are any..  The adhesive can easily be tested for
>fire resistance. As for cracking of concrete during earthquakes, a good
>structural epoxy should be as strong or even stronger than the concrete
>bond so the tiles will crack with the concrete and not fall off . The
>area of concern will be the long term effect of extreme temperature
>change in countries like Canada. It is possible that the manucfacturer
>will have information about this.
>

>Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.
>Iloilo City, Philippines

Raghu,

You may also want to check potential differential movement of your granite
and concrete due to moisture as well as temperature. If you are near the
coast airborne chlorides and wind driven rain may be problems that should be
considered whether you use an adhesive or mechanical fasteners.

Obviously a 15# piece of granite dropped from near the top of your 4 story
building is potentially a lethal missile.

Allowances for the underlying structures movements are usually more easy to
make and design for with some type of mechanical fastener .

Maintaining the structures weather envelope integrity is a major concern

that the architect will need to address but will also have a major impact on
your structure no matter which method you use.

Yours Truly,
Norb Volny , PE