Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction
- From: BVeit <BVeit(--nospam--at)aol.com>
- Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:22:17 EST
This is true -- last week I mentioned a tall structure designed to a lower windspeed than the local florida requirements. I was curious by what seemed like an underdesigned structure, so I went to the building department and found that it was only designed to 75 mph, when the local requirement was 110. I wondered if that was illegal, and had to explain to my client why we couldn't compete with our competitor's "design." Well, guess what.... it fell down yesterday in sub 70 mph winds. No occupancy, no outside damage, and nobody got hurt, so a little schadenfreude is not out of hand I guess.... But what a coincidence!
- Prev by Subject: Re: Engineering Interns
- Next by Subject: Fw: Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction
- Previous by thread: Re: LURKERS UNITE -- message boards
- Next by thread: Fw: Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction