Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction

This is true -- last week I mentioned a tall structure designed to a lower
windspeed than the local florida requirements. I was curious by what seemed
like an underdesigned structure, so I went to the building department and
found that it was only designed to 75 mph, when the local requirement was 110.

I wondered if that was illegal, and had to explain to my client why we
couldn't  compete with our competitor's "design."

Well, guess what.... it fell down yesterday in sub 70 mph winds.  No
occupancy, no outside damage, and nobody got hurt, so a little schadenfreude
is not out of hand I guess....  But what a coincidence!