Fw: Engineers responsibility -- truth stranger than fiction

Could you elaborate a bit on this event?
Was the structure steel or R/C?  Braced frame, moment frame, shear walls?
When you say it fell down, do you mean it collapsed by laying itself out
(like a tree falling)?

I'm interested in this because here on Guam, we have had some really big
typhoons hit the island (sustained>150mph, gusts>180mph), but have never
seen a "major" structure collapse (a lot of prefab buildings have been
seriously damaged/destroyed, especially those more than 15 years old or
so).  Note, however, that most of our taller structures, more than 3
stories, are all R/C.  Thus, I am quite interested to hear more about this.

T. Eric Gillham PE