Re: LGS - Is the Supplier Liable???

>I believe that the manufacture was responsible to notify the client that a
>section ordered was not a stock item and exceeded the recommended web
>crippling ratio before every supplying the materials. They claim that they
>simply supplied what was ordered and did not question if an engineer
>calculated the member or not.
I don't see how the manufacturer would know the final service intended
for the structurals. The engineer who specified the members should have
known whether or not they'd meet spec. evaluation for possible web
crippling clearly calls for an engineering judgement. If the standard of
care for a supplier is to look over an engineer's shoulder and comment on
suitability maybe you have a small corner of a case, but I doubt that any
supplier is held to such a standard.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw