RE: LGS - Is the Supplier Liable???

Chris,
You do have a point, however in this case there was never an engineer on the
project. The county allowed these homes to be designed by non-professionals.
The closest thing to a design professional was the supplier of the materials
who SHOULD know that a non-standard section which is outside the range of
H/t ratios as indicated in their company catalog is being ordered. They
never questioned the order - they simply filled it.

I don't believe that it is an issue of questioning the judgment of the
engineer. If a manufacture creates a product that has design restrictions,
they should be aware of them and offer reasonable advice to the public. In
Light Guage Steel construction, it has been my experience that there are
many salesman but few professionals who understand the materials. The virtue
of steel stud framing has been touted as the messiah of new technolgy -
saving the client up to 60% of his framing cost. Yes, this fact was thrown
at me yesterday by a new developer in the area who wishes to build with
steel. My experience is that it saves nothing due to increased labor costs
to assemble headers, screw members together, create additional connections
for wood to steel and add to the project the cost of engineering in area's
that don't accept it as simple HUD compliance or Conventional Framing.

Those that manufacture a material must have some responsility to ensure it
safe usage - this is only ethical. It may not be legal or required, but I'll
bet in court a lawyer can make a great argument for it.

Thanks for the advice.

Dennis

Dennis Wish PE
La Quinta, California