Water-cement ratio in type V concrete

Hello all,

With the recent talk about Type V concrete, I would like to post the following
questions for our panel.

1.  How important is the water cement ratio in mixing Type V concrete?
2.  Does higher ratio (greater than 0.45 per UBC) in anyway diminish concrete
     strength or reduce concrete capacity in protecting foundations from
sulfate
     deterioration.
3.  Since the UBC specify the 0.45 ratio, how can this be maintained in the
field?
     I've seen on numerous occasions pumping contractors hosing water to keep
the
     concrete from hardening.
4.  Will your standard slump test determine what ratio the concrete is at when
it's
     ready for pumping?
5.  Should engineers begin an observation program to check for this ratio?

The reason why I am asking this is that there is a recent lawsuit, still
pending, that involves this.  The lawyers are speculating that since the party
involved does not specify the 0.45 ratio on plans, he/she should be held
liable for complete foundation repair cost.  From the mix tickets, the water
cement ratio was noted to be 0.6 when the trucks left the mixing plant.  They
contended that because of the high ratio, concrete is more poruos which allows
sulfate to seep into the concrete faster, damaging it before adequate strength
was reached.  It's interesting how lawyers can dig through anything to build
their case.  Anyway, your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Long T. Tang