RE: SEAOC - Plan Review Comments - Outrage!!!

I can't believe we are back on the SE vs. CE issue. Dennis, the SE exam is
about more than just schools, hospitals and high rise buildings. In fact, I
don't recall any questions on the exam that distinguishes between the CA
version of the UBC and the "regular" UBC. The exam requires an additional
three years of experience and passing the exam demonstrates that the
examinee is more than a casual user of the structural provisions of the
code. I know you don't like tests, but you should at least order some of
the past exams to review the material. Once you have reviewed the exams,
and then compared the SE exam with the structural problems on the CE exam,
you will readily conclude that, in general, the examinee passing the SE
exam has demonstrated more expertise in structural engineering that he/she
did taking the CE exam.

If you were really interested in public safety, which I do not believe is
your motivation on this issue, you would support the adoption of the
California Building Code (at least for seismic zone 4) for all structures
excluding single family residences. I believe your real motivation is that
you want to be able to call yourself "structural engineer" without paying
the price. As you are aware, the CBC is more than just requiring a SE
stamp. There are mandated tests and inspections which drastically improve
the quality control of the structural system. Short of this solution, the
two tier approach would be the only other palatable solution.

Regards,
Bill Allen