RE: Wind question

In the old days there was a "code" requirement that the glass had to be impact resistant and had to be designed to resist the full wind pressures in order to count on categorizing a building as enclosed.  The current codes allow a lot more engineering discretion.  (In a hurricane area you could use debris screens or shutters.)  There are perceivable circumstances where glazing might not be subjected to debris impact.

I tend to design to the partially enclosed criteria unless the openings are minimal or the glazing is impact resistant.  The Standard Building Code has a supplemental glazing requirement that is a performance requirement for impact resistance.

Don't forget that you can drop the uplift demand on the structure relative to the trib area of the structural element in question and use whatever dead load that is available.  An 80 mph (fastest mile) wind in a prefab metal building generally does not drive the foundation design too high except for adding rebar in the top of the fndn.  But every case is different.

Good luck,
Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537
Voice: 970 667-2426
Fax: 970 667-2493
Email: hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com