Re: Tilt-up Concrete Walls

For the design of tilt-up walls with small axial gravity loads and
large lateral forces, I suggest you use the "Alternate Design Slender
Walls" method under 1997 UBC Section 1914.8. This code section was
developed pursuant to research by a Joint Task Committee of the SEAOSC
and Southern California Chapter ACI between 1979 to 1982. The Code
language was developed by the SEAOC Building Code Committee between
1984 to 1987. The P-delta effect has been incorporated in the
development of formaulae (14-4) and (14-5).

The effective steel area, A(se), is based on membered subject to
combined bending and axial load. You may find the development under the
commentary of ACI Design Handbook Publication SP-17(97) page 432.

If you are interested in the original version of the Committee
recommendations, you may wish to contact the office of SEAOSC for the
two publications - the "Yellow Book" on Tilt Up Walls; and the "Green
Book" on the Research Report. I believe a spread sheet can easily be
developed for design use. Warnings, please note that the "Green Book"
was never updated by the Task committee and had several typo errors in
the examples at the end of the publication.