New Zealand: Buildings Unsafe in Earthqauke: Proposed Legislation

Hello Folks

This is for the interest of those who have an interest in processes for
identifying and making safe buildings that present more than acceptable risk
in earthquake.

Shafat Qazi has been kind and put three documents onto the list server for
me.  The files are in Rich Text Format.  One can generally open them in most
word processing programs.

This posting is on behalf of the New Zealand National Society for Earthquake
Engineering. (NZNSEE).  We are working with the New Zealand Building
Industry Authority (BIA) to develop legislation for mitigation of buildings
that are unsafe in earthquake.

We have had legislation for unreinforced masonry buildings for some 30
years. This has only been partially successful.  The current legislation is
also aimed at 1960's non ductile reinforced concrete and steel buildings.

The documents are self explanatory in that light.

On the list server:
File 21,  name-eqsbk.rtf, document 3, is a background paper prepared by the
study group of NZNSEE.

File 22,  name bia_p1.rtf, document 1, is a background paper produced by
BIA.  It also addresses sanitary and fire safety as well as for Earthquake.

File 23,  name bia_p2.rtf, document 2, is the wording of the proposed
legislation.
(Carefully.  Sorry about the _ and -  inconsistency.)

The documents can be accessed using the "How do I Request Files (From the
List Server) via E-mail?" instructions from the Seaoc FAQ page.

This information is for the interest of particularly those on the West Coast
USA, in earthquake country.

We feel that we are presenting a pragmatic approach of 'catching' the worse
and really dangerous buildings while being mindful of the economics.   The
process features "high risk buildings"  which in turn have "Critical
structural Weaknesses" that are likely to lead to collapse and thus
casualties.

I will be pleased to receive any comments and to answer any questions.

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz