Re: CONC - Repair Of Member Subjected To Bomb

Charlie:

If I interpret your post correctly, you will write a specification for a
contractor to repair the roof which was subjected to an explosive charge
in order to have an opening for access.  It is a general practice in
concrete repair to remove loose debris and cracked concrete until sound
concrete is exposed.

It is also believed that the most concrete damage is closest to the
charge location.  Destructive energy is inversely proportional to the
square or cubic of distance.   Thus, if you start from the point closest
to the charge location and work outwards until sound concrete is
reached, there should not be a de-bonding concern beyond that point of
sound concrete.  If your concern is damage caused by stress wave
propagation in the reinforced concrete, theoretical calculations based
on assumptions are probably not as reliable as field observations.

Just a question out of curiosity.  Why not use saw cut for access
instead of explosive?

Best regards,

Chang Chen, Ph.D., P.E.
Apollo Consulting, Inc.