RE: Hardy Frame, between code changes

There are pictures on his web site that show how the boxed frame installs
within the wall cavities. I'm not sure if it is designed as a braced strap
frame or uses a rigid compression and tension member - however, the diagonal
brace occurs in only one direction. The frame uses Simpson's PDH
Pre-Deflected holddowns for connection of the perimeter channels to the
foundation. I personally like these since they are easily installed with
screws. I have used them locally in both wood and light gauge steel framing
with desirable comments from the framers.

I suggest you visit the Hardy Frame web site for more information.

Here is some info taken from their web site on Hardy Frame:

It replaces the need for plywood in shear walls in both wood and
steel-framed construction
Light weight, high tensile galvanized steel, 98 to 160 pounds each
Shear strengths of 2,000 to 7,400 pounds, based on structural calculations
Dynamically tested to over 2 1/2 times calculated strength
Standard 8 and 9 foot heights to match stud walls (special sizes upon
request)
Widths of 18", 32", 48", 64" and 80"
Sized to fit within 4" and 6" stud walls
Templates for all sizes to assure anchor bolt alignment
Standard bolts to footings and framing
Structural engineering calculations provided
Patent pending, No. P-5020
ICBO Report No. PFC-5342

Provides faster installation, greater design flexibility and more strength
than plywood.
Eliminates plywood, hold downs and posts, studs within the frame, nailing
schedules, special blocking and need for 3x plates.
Reduces inspection and waiting time.
Permits easy drywall, lathing and electrical installation.
Lowers overall cost!
One 848 Hardy Frame replaces four 1/2" sheets of plywood with nailing 4" on
center per L.A. City Code.

Dennis Wish PE
La Quinta, California
wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com