Re: Hardy Frame, between code changes

We have designed one project so far using the Hardy Frame on a military
housing project which has now gone on hold.  A definite improvement over
having to consider using Thermo-ply wall sheathing for part of the lateral
resisting system.

One caution that no one has mentioned so far, is that the Hardy Frame is a
brace frame which depends upon the double top plate to drag loads to the
frame.  All it takes is the plumber or electrian drilling a hole through the
double top plate to reduce the capacity of the system.  I can't fault the
Hardy Frame to much about this since we have the same problem with plywood
shear walls.  I know the Hardy Frame has holes in the frame to pass small
diameter conduit / pipes through the frame, but larger waste lines still need
to reach the second floor through the double top plate.

It is a great solution as a replacement for the typical short walls each side
of the garage door opening.

Michael Cochran
mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com