Re: COMP:Linking Spreadsheets to external databases

Lorenzo

Both of the responses from Bill and Dennis are accurate, Quattro will support
both V and H lookups and linking to an external database.  In the latest Win 95
versions you can even link to the WWW for data.  (Difficult sometimes, but it
can be done)  For your specific application I've used Dennis's method with a
database in QPro with steel shapes and design values with lookups.  I simply
insert the master file when I write a new spreadsheet as a lookup page in a 3-D
spreadsheet.

In QPro 8 you can use the expert to link to an external database under

INSERT|EXTERNAL DATA| EXPERT...

This won't be as quick on a network or slow machine.  Also, if for some reason
the external database is lost the spresheet will not work.

Arvel L. Williams, P.E.