Concrete filled steel pipe columns

I am on a committee to answer questions asked in Structure Magazine
published quarterly by the National Council of Structural Engineers
Associations.  I am asking for responses to be sent to me at
loveengr(--nospam--at)msn.com so I can summarize them and come up with a consensus of
opinion.

4. To get more capacity from a steel pipe column, I want to fill the column
with concrete.  My question is whether the concrete is used to increase the
area, increase the radius of gyration (improve stiffness), or both?  Is
there a good design guide for concrete filled steel columns?

Sam Love
Love Engineering
Ogden, Utah