Re: Liquid forces in water tanks

At 03:43 PM 3/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I am on a committee to answer questions asked in Structure Magazine
>published quarterly by the National Council of Structural Engineers
>Associations.  I am asking for responses to be sent to me at
>loveengr(--nospam--at)msn.com so I can summarize them and come up with a consensus of
>opinion.
>
>3.  Can anyone help me  to calculate the effect of sloshing liquid for the
>design of a water storage tank subjected to earthquake accelerations?  I
>need this information for buried as well as above-ground situations.
>
>Sam Love
>Love Engineering
>Ogden, Utah

If I recall correctly there was some work done along this line, but
involving wine storage tanks. If my memory serves me correctly the work was
done at UC Berkeley. The failure in the stainless wine tanks was called
elephant footing or something like this. I think that some sort of computer
program was developed.

Hope this helps.

Robert