Re: Problem with Deputy Inspector -- Follow-up

According to RGA#2-90 (LA city)--maximum slump for concrete shall be six
inches-unless an approved high-range water-reducing admixture(type F and G)
is used. Under the 1994 UBC Ready Mixed Concrete Standard 19-3 if the plans
or project specs are written as a "maximum" or "not to exceed" there is 0
tolerance on the top end and 2 1/2 inch on the low end--assuming it is a 4
inch slump. If the specs or plans for slump are not written as a "maximum"
or "not to exceed" (assuming it's a 4 inch slump) there is a plus or minus
of 1 inch tolerance. It is important for the engineer to state this in the
general notes for less confusion in the field. I know in my report the area
of placement and vibration of concrete,mix # , design P.S.I. and # of
cylinders taken are on my report. If the concrete is within the tolerance of
the specs,plans or U.B.C. standard (whichever is more stringent) I do not
list the slump. Our data sheets sent in with the cylinders include date of
pour,design psi,mix design designation, slump in inches,made by,mixing
time(hrs/min),time of day,cyls this set/pour,temp,load #,plant,job
name,address,location in structure,age to be crushed,special instructions
and the mark on cylinders.
I have on occasion been asked to record slumps and temps on every panel
poured in a day(sometimes 50 to 75) and fax to the owner and engineer at the
end of the pour.This is no problem. After all I am employed by you.(1701.1
1994 UBC)
Also if a wet load comes in-is out of tolerance the contractor is notified
and told of the consequences if placed.If he chooses to place it--it is on
the daily report, the engineer is notified and a correction notice is
written (depending on the juristiction) and city  notified. I hope my input
helps.    Robert Bill --Deputy Inspector