Re: Problem with Deputy Inspector -- Follow-up

At 09:20 AM 3/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
>In re the following reply  to my earlier post:

>To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
>Subject: Re: Problem with Deputy Inspector -- Follow-up
>If you are looking for the slump, try the concrete compression test report.
>That is where we (a City of Los Angeles licensed laboratory) report it.<<<
>
>This is what  the inspector said and, I must admit, standard practice.  I
>think it's a bad answer and bad practice.  It is in no one's interest to
>wait for the slump test result and other data the deputy records during his
>placement inspection.  In general, all quality control data should be
>reported as quickly as practical.
>
>Even if a 7 day break is made and reported promptly, waiting for the
>compression test report means I don't see the slump until more than a week
>after the pour.  Perhaps two more pours have taken place in the meantime.
>If there's no 7, and a slow report on the 28,  the job may be finished
>before I ever see the excessive slump, find out  they're using the wrong mix
>design, or etc.
>
>IMHO, prompt review of the reports is of value to the project team.  If I
>have a question about or a problem with the results, it is much better for
>all concerned if I communicate it to the jobsite before an error is repeated
>or questionable work made inaccessible for further testing, inspection or
>repair by on-going construction.  Slump tests are only not the end all but
>the tip of the iceberg.
>
>I would be interested in knowing how many of my colleagues think this makes
>sense and how many think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
>
>Drew Norman, S.E.
>Drew A. Norman and Associates

Inspector is required to adhere to specific criteria regarding the slump of
a particular mix design.  If it is indicated that the slump is "not to
exceed" a particular slump, then that's just what it means.  So, a slump
requirement designated as Not To Exceed 4" means just that.  If on the
other hand, the slump is just specified as 4", the Inspector has some
tolerance.

My point is, Drew, that the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance is, in
itself, self-explanatory and it is not common practice to include the slump
information on a Certificate of Compliance.  Mix Design number, the number
of cylinders cast, the Test Lab they are sent to should be on the
Inspector's report.  Information regarding the ambient and concrete
temperature, slump, mixing time and delivery ticket identification number
among other things are on the data sheet sent with the cylinders.

The responder from the Test Lab is a bit curt and brief, but basically
accurate.

If you'd like that information, however, you should make your requirements
known.  Herein lies another good reason for the EOR to comply with the UBC
Section 106.3.5 under the Inspection Program.  The Engineer is REQUIRED by
that section to "specify the name of the individual or firm performing the
Special Inspections and what they will be inspecting".  If you specify a
Qualified Inspection Firm and spell out your particular requirements, you
can bet you'll get just what you ask for every single time!

R. Sandy Pringle       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com 	 (800)598-1970    Fax(310)376-5294
http://www.sic-inc.com	 Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA

Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their
simplification. -Martin H. Fischer