Re: Liquid forces in water tanks

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:56:20 -0800 Robert McGhie <robert0(--nospam--at)jps.net>
writes:
>At 03:43 PM 3/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>I am on a committee to answer questions asked in Structure Magazine
>>published quarterly by the National Council of Structural Engineers
>>Associations.  I am asking for responses to be sent to me at
>>loveengr(--nospam--at)msn.com so I can summarize them and come up with a consensus
>of
>>opinion.
>>
>>3.  Can anyone help me  to calculate the effect of sloshing liquid
>for the
>>design of a water storage tank subjected to earthquake accelerations?
>>need this information for buried as well as above-ground situations.
>>
>>Sam Love
>>Love Engineering
>>Ogden, Utah
>>

>If I recall correctly there was some work done along this line, but
>involving wine storage tanks. If my memory serves me correctly the
>work was done at UC Berkeley. The failure in the stainless wine tanks
was
>called elephant footing or something like this. I think that some sort
of
>computer program was developed.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Robert

There was also some work done by Kelly and Chalhoub at Berkeley in 85,
86, or 87; as well as some studies based on documented damage in the 1983
Coalinga Earthquake.  The reports, 35 mm slides, etc. were available at
the UC Berkeley Earthquake Engineering Research Center  (EERC) library:
http://www.eerc.berkeley.edu or email at eerclib(--nospam--at)eerc.berkeley.edu or
call 510-231-9403.

Pat Quinn
Henderson, Nevada

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]