RE: Liquid forces in water tanks

I have answered Sam's post directly to his e-mail address, but I will post it here also because of the interest it seems to have stirred up.

I am the chair of BSSC TS 13 Nonbuilding Structures.  The calculation of sloshing fluid forces is in a state of flux for the short term.

There will be a great appendix in the 1997 NEHRP Provisions and a great Commentary when the new provisions are finally published.  The tank sections of the Provisions and Commentary were prepared by some very sharp industry representatives (Steve Meier from Chicago Bridge & Iron and Nicholas Legatos from Preload Tank).

There is a major rewrite in the methodology for computing impulsive and convective fluid forces.  The main methodologies are contained in the AWWA documents (D100 etc).  Eventually the ACI 350 will mimic the AWWA documents.  The API is using the same basic methodology as the AWWA.

In the course of preparing the NEHRP document, the New Zealand standards were studied as was the work for the nuclear industry and some studies prepared by Wozniak.  The methodologies in the AWWA were predicated on the work by Housner, and he even reviewed the methodology for the ACI 350 committee.

If anyone wants a good list of references with lots of equation derivations and other fun stuff, let me know.

Traditionally we have used the NAVFAC P355 / TM-5-809-10 methodology.  But it was giving some inaccurate results, therefor the change was necessary.  The NEHRP should help in all types of liquid containment, and will help bridge the gap to use the new seismicity maps.

Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537
Voice: 970 667-2426
Fax: 970 667-2493
Email: hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com