Re: Load - Occupany Live Load

I've designed a fitness center open to the public on wood framed floors. It's
on an existing retail/commercial building so I assumed that the live load the
original building was designed for is adequate for the fitness center. Like
you said, it's not an assembly area and with access around each equipment,
minimum 50 psf should be OK.

I treat the equipment weight as dead load and I ask for their location,
including rubber pads, leg configuration of really heavy equipments, dumbell
racks, etc., and design floor framing for these loads plus LL(min 50 psf). One
thing I watch out for is if there is a long row of heavy equipment or racks
that runs the same direction as the floor joist, it becomes critical for 2 or
3 joist carrying a heavy uniform load along it's length. A revised equipment
layout may be necessary or some way to spread the loads to more joists if the
layout cannot be changed.

Ernie Natividad