Re: timber piles

Roger:

We use "Wood Piles" by Canadian Wood Council.
 Tel: 1-800-463-5091or  (613) 235-7221
 Fax: (613) 247-7856
 E-mail: cwc(--nospam--at)hookup.net
 http:/www.cwc.ca
The other sources:
American Society for Testing and Material (on Timber Piles)

Here is "some" information you might consider:
The 12"  diameter wood piles we use here are generally D. Fir and have a 20
ton compressive capacity.
Connection detail of reinforced concrete"Pile Cap": requires adequate size
to resist one and two way (punching) Vertical (gravity) shear and Lateral
(horizontal) shear induced by seismic forces, in "Pile Cap".
Reinforced Concrete (R.C.) Grade Beams shall be supported by the Pile Caps
and are designed for superimposed loading plus R. C. slabs' weight and
horizontal lateral forces.
Seismic shear resistance of the all piles should be greater than the total
building's base shear. The point of fixity for piles can be about 5 feet
below top of the pile. Therefor the Bending resistance of the pile shall be
also greater than the imposed lateral bending on the individual pile.

Hope this would help.

Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)
Vancouver, B.C.