Re: Load - Occupany Live Load

Dennis S. Wish wrote:

> My client wants to relocate a workout room from one building to another. It
> is currently located in a Office structure located on a hospital campus. The
> building is not OSHPOD (sorry about the inital's if wrong) controlled.
> The current equipment room has weights and aerobic type equipment - the
> worst of which weights under 1000 lbs. Most of it is lighter pieces around
> 300 lbs.
> They wish to relocate to a second floor of the office building which is
> constructed of Spancrete planks. I did a similar report for them a few
> months ago and had John Hinton at Spancrete investigate a plank with from
> the building and add a 1kip concentrated load. There was no measurable
> deflection to be concerned with.
> The problem is the live load requirments. I'm not sure where this fits in
> the code. It is not a Gymnasium, nor is it used for Aerobic classes of
> twenty or thirty people jumping up and down. Each piece of equipment takes
> up at least twenty or thirty square feet and allowing for 3' access between
> the equipments makes it accessible to roughly 50 square foot per person.
> Remember too, these are hospital and outpatients (as well as staff) seeking
> therapy or aerobic training on the equipment.
> What is the allowable live load for this. I would guess the code allowable
> for a gym with fixed seating is 100 psf. If it is this high, can I use a
>
> realistic live load based upon each piece of equipment. The worst case
> equipment is the weight machine at 1000 lbs and which takes roughly 36
> square feet including benches. This amounts to only 28 psf.
>
> I'd like some feedback if you please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dennis Wish PE
> La Quinta, California
> wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com
> ICQ# 6110557
> http://wwp.mirabilis.com/6110557
>
> "Silence is the virtue of fools."
> Francis Bacon

Maybe I would prefer to use a conservative approach to this problem. I
don't think that, as the engineer, you will have too much control on how
the hospital will use this room. Most likely, they will add some
additional equipment or store some additional weights and forget to
consult with you.

However, you are dealing with an existing building and should not
propose expensive strengthening which would be unnecessary.

Why don't you work the problem backwards and see what loads the existing
floor can resist. The actual capacity of the floor might exceed the
capacity that is indicated on the drawings. Once you have this number,
you can see how comfortable you are with it.

Bruno Côté
BOCTE(--nospam--at)ibm.net