Re: Load - Occupany Live Load -Reply

Our comments have to do with taking the equipment as part of the dead load IE
treating it as permanent for vertical loads. When you add 50 psf to the floor
structure plus equipment, I think we approach the same  total load situation
you appear to represent: floor structure plus 100 psf.

There are some who will agree with you, others with me. As a plan reviewer, I
would find your approach acceptable. But as minimum, I think it is more than
required. As I read footnote 3 in Table 16-A,  assembly live loads of 100 psf
require "generally accessible to the public".  There is a distinct difference
between weight rooms and exercise rooms where the 100 psf is appropriate. In my
opinion,  weight rooms are not generally accessible as required due to the
presence of the equipment.

Because the weight room of a fitness center is not an exact match to items
listed in the ASCE or UBC tables,  judgement must be used and similarities must
be drawn. Herein lies our difference.

Respectfully,
Tim McCormick. P.E.
City of Los Angeles

>>> Lew Midlam <Lew.Midlam(--nospam--at)lcm.com> 03/31/98 07:18pm >>>
I have to disagree with Ernie and Tim.  The UBC ('91 edition,  sorry I don't
have a newer ed, but I assume it's similar) requires that public areas be
designed for 100 PSF (Table 23-A for Assembly areas - "and other areas", and
Footnote 3). ASCE 7-88 backs this up in Table C3. Since the equipment isn't
'built-in' as plumbing or kitchen equipment is, I'd treat it as part of the
Live Load.

Lew Midlam, PE
http://www.lcm.com