Granite Cladding (no mechanical fasteners)

I am trying  to get a "life-time warranty" on labour and material from
"Laticrete."
Based on my discussions with few other engineers, this products has been
commonly used in Vancouver area.
I appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance
Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)

_________________________Message separtor_________________
Thanks to all individuals that commented on the this subject, including the
followings:
Tom Chui , Alex Nacional, T. Eric Gillham, Raghu Pendyala, Norb Vonly, Phil
Dodd, Paul Mariai, maura and particularly special thanks to Brent Koch.
Sorry that I could not get back quicker.

(1) First let me correct myself: There are 2 separate projects. First one
(the subject of current posts) is the Four storey and the Granite size is
12"x12"x3/8" with 5.6 lbs. weight, and not 3/4" it was cleared after I
posted. (The second project, after the first one is done, will involve the
installation of 12"x12"x3/4" tiles on its first storey with the Mechanical
Fasteners and is Not the subject of today's post.)

(2) The system the Architect has Specified is "Laticrete" which has the
approval of UBC, ICBO and Department of Building and Safety of City of Los
Angeles and some others. This system has been used in Canada but in the
Vancouver area only on a few similar buildings.

(3) The "Laticrete"system comes with a 5 year warranty. It is claimed to be
"shock, chemical and frost resistant" with Coefficient of Expansion of
65x10?7(°F)

(4) This (Laticrete) adhesive comes with its own  compatible waterproofing
system.

On this project my role is as of the "specialty design Engineer" and not the
project's "Engineer of the record." The project's "Building envelope
consultant" will also review the overall aspect of the work.
Your recommendations would be appreciated including on: the horizontal and
Vertical
separation or expansion joists that may be required for Expansion as well as
for the deflections (of the reinforced concrete beams)  i.e. every 10 feet.
I will be discussing the concern about the wet coastal weather condition
here in West coast and its effect on the adhesive performance, with the
manufacture's Tech. Rep. tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)
Vancouver, B.C.
>On March 21, 1998 K. Hemmatyar wrote:
>>
>> Tom:
>>
>> Building Code of Canada 'classification Vancouver's specifications are as
>> follows:
>> Seismic Zone = 4
>> Za (acceleration related seismic zone) = Zv (velocity related seismic zone)
>> = 4.0
>> v = 0.20 (zonal velocity ration)
>>
>> I spoke to one of the colleagues here. He said similar applications have
>> been done.
>> However the issue is the appropriate installation method and adhesive agent.
>> The problem with temperature expansion also effects in long run.
>> I need the information about the "proven" installation procedure.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kasey Hemmatyar, P. Eng. (structural)

directly