---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Tim McCormick" <TMCCORMI(--nospam--at)BAS.CI.LA.CA.US>, on 4/1/98 11:29 AM:

Dennis,

The UBC says in" Section 1604.5 Live Loads Posted. The live loads for which
each floor or part thereof of a commercial or industrial building is or has
been designed shall have such designed live loads conspicuously posted by the
owner. . . . .The occupant of the building shall be responsible for keeping the

actual load below the allowable limits."

It sounds like the building official made you and not the occupant,
responsible. On a practical note, I can see his/her point but the building code

allows controls on live loads and occupant loads with proper signage. (See
Section 1002.3 too.) What if the area was converted to heavy storage for excess

weights (LL=250 psf?).

We cannot police everything. Lawyers like to hang engineers on "what ifs"
scenarios but I do not think building officials should or can per code in this
case. Our role is limited to enforcing the minimum allowed by code. Fortunately

for you, the difference in load criteria is not critical.

Regards,
Tim McCormick, P.E.
City of Los Angeles

>>> "Dennis S. Wish" <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com> 03/31/98 09:58pm >>>
No luck, Ernie. The building official took a stand - You can't guarantee the
future use of the area and, therefore, have to consider the code for worst
case condition. Yes, the actual usage for the space will prove a less than
50 psf live load, but there is nothing to prevent the client from taking out
the equipment and holding assembly's and aerobic training classes.
This means that the occupancy of the space must be changed and the area must
comply with the code rated live load for an assembly area - 100 psf.
Thanks for your input, but the BO is the final word on the issue.

Dennis Wish PE
La Quinta, California
wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com
ICQ# 6110557