Re: Load - Occupancy Live Load

Well, I guess I disagree with most of the thinking here.  A fitness club is in
fact a private club for which only regular paying members are allowed.  Aerobics
classes do not load up the floors to 100 psf.  People on the floor spread out
for enough room to move around and not bump the person next to him/her.  This is
anywhere from 24 square feet to 36 square feet.  If you have ever seen an
aerobics class (I have participated in many of them), then you will know that
the real load is down below 50 psf.  These floors are bare, no desks, chairs,
etc., or other live load associated with a normal live load.
The people who attend these classes are not the "fat" ones.  Or if they are fat,
they quickly loose the weight.  In the classes I attended, 90% of the people on
the floor are very fit.  The ones who are fat are at home eating twinkies and
watching TV.
I also think it is absurd for the building official to require someone to design
a floor for the highest loading that could be dreamed up, and not for the
"approved" and designated use.  You can challenge the Building Official's
interpretation of the Code.  He is not GOD (but close to it).  I would not
recommend doing this, but it is possible.

Conclusion:  An aerobics floor for a private fitness club IS NOT a public
assembly area, by any stretch of the imagination.  The loading on these floors
is no where near 100 psf.

Lynn