Re: Load - Occupancy Live Load

Lynn Howard wrote:

> Well, I guess I disagree with most of the thinking here.  A fitness club is in
> fact a private club for which only regular paying members are allowed.  Aerobics
> classes do not load up the floors to 100 psf.  People on the floor spread out
> for enough room to move around and not bump the person next to him/her.  This is
> anywhere from 24 square feet to 36 square feet.  If you have ever seen an
> aerobics class (I have participated in many of them), then you will know that
> the real load is down below 50 psf.  These floors are bare, no desks, chairs,
> etc., or other live load associated with a normal live load.
> The people who attend these classes are not the "fat" ones.  Or if they are fat,
> they quickly loose the weight.  In the classes I attended, 90% of the people on
> the floor are very fit.  The ones who are fat are at home eating twinkies and
> watching TV.
> I also think it is absurd for the building official to require someone to design
> a floor for the highest loading that could be dreamed up, and not for the
> "approved" and designated use.  You can challenge the Building Official's
> interpretation of the Code.  He is not GOD (but close to it).  I would not
> recommend doing this, but it is possible.
>
> Conclusion:  An aerobics floor for a private fitness club IS NOT a public
> assembly area, by any stretch of the imagination.  The loading on these floors
> is no where near 100 psf.
>
> Lynn

Lynn,

I understand your point about live load distribution for aerobics class.
I agree with you if the people are just standing still. However, maybe
we should be concerned that many people jumping up and down at a
specific frequency might create a dynamic effect that could increase the
load.

Maybe a simple analogy to be convinced of that is to get on a personal
weight scale and notice the difference between the maximum load
indicated by the dial and your actual weight. And then try to imagine
what the increase in load would be if someone actually jumped on the
scale rather then gently getting on it.

Regards,

Bruno Côté
BOCTE(--nospam--at)ibm.net