RE: COMP @home

I just signed up for the cable @Home service in the Seattle area and will
be getting it this weekend.  The way the @Home works is that you are
actually a node on the @home's INTRANET.  When you make a download request
for a file or home page that is cache'd in their system, then you get the
peak speeds of 2.8 megs/second (100 times faster than 28.8k).  I was quoted
by @Home with 2.8 megs/sec download and 56k (peak) upload.  It is
impossible to get 30 Mps down because you are bottlenecked at the ethernet
card (unless they are selling you a fast ethernet card (100 Mps)) which is
peaked at 10 Mps.  By the way, if the file or homepage is NOT in their
Intranet Cache system, the speed goes way down, perhaps ISDN speeds
(128k).... but overall the setup is much faster than 56k.....

Also since you are on the @Home Intranet, your surfing activities are
subject to monitoring by @Home's "Big Brother"....  but then again aren't
we being monitored now?   :)

Ed Chin, PE