Re: COMP @home

Here in Silicon Valley,  @Home has been available in Fremont for over two
years.  Almost everybody likes the speed and freeing up the phone line.
However, a couple of caveats.  If your system is configured improperly,
anybody else on your node will be able to access the files on your machine and
vice versa.  TCI patched this here, but I don't know if it was implemented
correctly elsewhere.  Secondly, the more folks in your node area sign up, the
slower the connection because if you are all on at the same time, the
pipewidth of the fiber doesn't get bigger, but the demand is up.  So, consider
it a short term fix 2-5 year until the next tech solution for access comes
along.

Ron Fong
Fremont,  CA