Fw: Negative Structures.

Yeah yeah yeah!

I figured someone would actually read that post and comment on it!

Actually, the reason why I included the -3 stories, besides perhaps piquing
someone's interest, was because it was an interesting project (for Guam
anyway).  The project was a pump station that extended 30' below grade.
Because the structure was located adjacent to the ocean, it would have been
very difficult for the contractor to excavate and cast in place (water
table at about 2').  So, we worked it out with the contractor and had them
incrementally build the structure on grade, while digging it out from the
inside so that it sank.  I believe there is a specific name for this type
of construction method, but to my knowledge it was the first on Guam.  So
THAT's why I listed it as a negative structure, FYI.

T. Eric Gillham PE