RE: Negative Structures.

This is similar to the construction of the "caissons" for the Brooklyn Bridge which was done by pressurizing the wooden caisson chambers while they were stacked with masonry, sunk to the mud line, hand excavated.  The pressurized chambers resulted in the workers becoming ill from "caissons disease" or as us SCUBA divers call it; the bends.

The scheme for the caisson construction was developed in the 1850's and 1860's by John Roebling who died in a construction accident.  His son Washington Roebling completed the construction and was himself stricken by caissons disease in 1872, but lived to see the bridge completion in 1883.

I believe that this was the first time this method of construction was used.  Back in those days you did not quit when the CD's were done.  Engineers also tended to die, and become crippled at the same rate as the construction workers.

Remind me to let someone else do construction observation.

Former iron worker and current engineer,
Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537
Voice: 970 667-2426
Fax: 970 667-2493
Email: hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com