Re: Negative Structures.

T. Eric Gillham wrote:

> we worked it out with the contractor and had them incrementally build the
structure on grade, while digging it out from the inside so that it sank.  I
believe there is a specific name for this type of construction method ...<

My references use the term "caisson" for this method of construction.  I
have
designed circular pump stations as "sunk caissons".  I prefer to use the
term
"sunk caisson" because many people seem to use the word "caisson" to refer
drilled piers.