Re: steel column below grade

>I have a general question regarding steel columns below grade.

Mike,

I'd enclose it in concrete and let the contractor roughen the surface at the
bottom of the CJ material. He could then cast the slab section around the
column and inside the CJ at the sametime as the rest of the sog. It'll take
some care to insure that all flushes out at the top of the cj, obviously.

On your concrete shear walls you should be fine with just a cold joint if
the mix has a slump of 4" or less ...the surface willbe rough enough to
transfer the concrete part of your shear load unless the contractor washes
out his equipment inside your forms which would give you a smooth surface
and a potential laitence layer. The concrete in the next lift should be
properly vibrated to ensure a good mechanical lock to the conc below. We
usually called for the pours in shear walls to be at the soffit of the beam
or slab level on the next floor . This will allow good control of the
vibration at the control joint as well as a "good inspection opportunity for
you or your special inspector.

Hope this is of some help.
Yours Truly,
Norb Volny PE SE