Re: 16 ga staples for Roof Sheathing

> From:          CTSTUC <CTSTUC(--nospam--at)aol.com>
> Date:          Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:41:14 EST
> To:            seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject:       16 ga staples for Roof Sheathing

> Our firm has recently discovered that many of the builders in our area have
> been substituting 8d common nails at the roof sheathing with 16 ga staples
> (without our approval).  These are not equivalent.  The closest equivalent is
> a 14 ga staple, which is in the ICBO report but no one manufactures.  The
> inspectors don't seem to be catching that they are using staples.  Just
> thought I would let you all know what we have encountered.
>
> Patricia Small
> Tucson, AZ

Patricia,

I am using 14 ga staples in San Fran, I called a local construction
supply company (Viking Distrib.) and they indicated that they did
stock 14 ga staple in a variety of lengths(Paslode Brand).  I also
spoke to the local representative ISNTA (International Staple, Nail,
and Tool Assoc.) and he indicated that 14 ga should be readily
available.

Note: Values for these staples are available in ICBO NER-272.  Up
until the 1995 report, this ICBO Report listed values for 12 and 13
ga staples,  these staple are very hard to find.

Bill Lynch
Berkeley, CA