Re: steel column below grade

If a pilaster is used, the top of pilaster will still need to be below slab
to hide the anchor bolts.  The columns are tubesteel and the owners need as
much usable space as possible.

I guess the only real question is, do I really need concrete from slab to
top of footing or is there another method to protect the steel?