Re: Construction Joint in Shearwall

You can provide a two way key joints(say 2x6 or 3x6 at 12 iches o.c.)
and combined with the vertical bars to provide both in-plane and
out-of-plan shear transfer.

Mike Brown wrote:

> Another question I am hoping to get answered:
>
> We have a multiple story shear wall (8 stories).  Horizontal control joints
> will be required for constrution.  A keyed joint will provide shear
> resistance for out of plane loads, but not in plane loads.  Will the
> vertical reinforcing bars be adequate to transfer the shear through the
> joint or should another method be used?  I am considering a keyed joint
> with a bonding agent.  Does anyone know if epoxy bonding agents will create
> enough of a bond to act as if the construction joint was actually
> monolithic?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike Brown, P.E.
> CSHQA Engineers
> Boise, ID

begin:          vcard
fn:             Tom  Chiu
n:              Chiu;Tom
org:            Thomas Engineering
email;internet: Tomchiu(--nospam--at)worldnet.att.net
title:          Principal, SE
tel;work:       (714) 221-3663
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE