Re: steel column below grade

Check out your standard details and see if you have one for a concrete
pilaster from top of footer to top of Slab. Attached your Steel at the top
of the pilaster.

If for some reason you do want to keep the Steel going to Top of Footer and
into the soil you can coat the Column with Coal Tar Epoxy. There are
several Grades of Coal Tar but from research that I just completed I would
recommend "Kop-Coat" Bitumastic No. 300 M, Call (314-644-100) This is the
old Koppers Co. Mixture and its probably the cheepest (varify that for
yourself). (FYI -- I had a fun time tracking down the present manufacturer
of this product.)

There are several coatings and types of coatings on the market Try a Search
with Coatings as a Key Word see what you come up with or send me an Email
and I send you some alternatives.

I am also interested in seeing what other answers you get.

Robert W. Stevens, Jr., P.E.