Re: 16 ga staples for Roof Sheathing

I have a simular problem with a contractor using staples in lieu of nails.  He
nailed the OSB roof sheathing with Paslode 16 ga. staples.  I have a 1974
report issued to the Industrial Stapling and Nailing Association by ICBO,
Report #2403.  This report gives shear values for about two dozen nail and
staple types for plywood roofs and shear walls.  OSB is not mentioned in this
report.

I have tried contacting Paslode via E-Mail and voice mail to no avail (rhyme
not intended).  The report I have gives values that are considerably less for
staples than for nails in plywood.  If anyone has information on this please
e-mail me.

Mel Slaysman, P.E., S.E.
mjslaysman(--nospam--at)aol.com