Use Of ASTM A513 For Stairs' Guardrails

I recently completed a design for a steel fabricator/erector who was the
subcontractor for the design and erection of structural steel stairs and the
associated guardrails for a project located in Baltimore, MD. The project
specifications required that the posts and top and bottom guardrails' material
conform to ASTM A513. Initially, I questioned this requirement since ASTM A
513 is the standard specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and
Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing. Paragraph 1.1 of this spec states that this
material is intended for use as mechanical tubing. Previously, I always used
material conforming to ASTM A53 or A500 for guardrail designs.

Has anyone used ASTM A513 material in the past for similar type of
application?

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD