Aluminum Specification

I am currently in the proccess of designing and aluminum canopy made of
C shapes and tubes.  I will need to include a specification for this
canopy and was wondering how I would assemble it?  Since this is the
first time I have designed something brand new with aluminum I need some
guidance.  I am thinking of using our Steel Framing specification and
modifying it to reflect aluminum properties.  Anyone have a better idea
or a different direction?  Also, are there any traps in the use of
aluminum?  I have heard of problems with field welding unless the welders
are highly experienced in aluminum.  Any other problems?