Re: Aluminum Specification

>I have heard of problems with field welding unless the welders
>are highly experienced in aluminum.  Any other problems?
My own experience is that people get into the most trouble when they try
to convert from steel to aluminum considering only the relative yield or
ultimate strength. Be very careful about fatigue loading and pay
attention to allowables for welded structures. 6000 series aluminum loses
a lot of strength when it's welded and that includes fatigue strength,
making it susceptible to stress concentrations from sloppy welding.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw